Dog Days of Charlotte is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Charlotte, NC that works with volunteers every day to rescue dogs from high-kill shelters around the Piedmont Region of North Carolina. Our mission is to seek out and recruit temporary foster homes for dogs in these shelters, before they are euthanized. Once the dog is safe in their foster home, we act as a liaison between the foster family and rescue group that sponsored the dog, assisting with the coordination of vetting appointments, transports and adoptions.
We work with no-kill 501(c)(3) Rescue Groups along the east coast that coordinate transports almost every week, that take the dogs to their next destination, whether it be another foster home or their forever home. We also work with local rescue groups here in Charlotte, NC that may require longer term foster homes and taking the foster dogs to weekly adoption events until they find their happily ever after!
Fostering with Dog Days of Charlotte is very fleixible. You can customize this volunteer program to fit your needs and do as much or as little as you’d like. We do our best to fit the needs of the foster home, as well as the foster dog. Without foster homes, these adoptable animals would have no chance at a second life with a wonderful family.
We need YOU to help us save them! Check out more information about our Foster Program!
1. There are shelters in NC and surrounding states that still use the gas chamber as a form of euthanasia. The horrific gas execution can last up to 40 minutes and sometimes needs to be repeated.
2. Many dogs are only at the shelter for 24-48 hours before they are euthanized.
3. Owner Surrenders get very little time in the shelter to be rescued.
4. Majority of the animals are euthanized due to lack of space, being too skinny or having a shy character.
5. These animals are and would make great pets.